Freshman year was a shock in many ways. The biggest one was the kind of amoralism I witnessed on campus. I stopped watching The Gossip Girl because I felt, at the time, that there was already enough chaos in my life, so why would I need to see more of it in fiction form? I now wonder how my native Chinese friends have themselves viewed the show and college culture here, or how my Catholic friends once reacted when they first found out about the word "hook-up." Were they just as overwhelmed?
Another subtler shock was social-economic. As I later found out, most people I roomed with or knew the first two years at Yale were really "normal" (read "privileged") so I never realized how much this difference in family background can affect you.
My first encounter with Nietzsche was when I had to read his Genealogy of Morality freshman year. I loved it because it was all about ethics and described my miserable first year perfectly. We the weak ones invented something called morality to impose on the strong because we wanted to stop the real strong ones. We wanted to become the rulers instead.
But I later stopped caring about meddling with other people's personal ethics, or get frustrated with whatever they do with their own life. I think I know why. The day I stopped caring was the day I culminated my ascension as one of the strong ones. I was previously jealous. That was all.
Aye, that's such a distorted interpretation of Nietzsche.
Another subtler shock was social-economic. As I later found out, most people I roomed with or knew the first two years at Yale were really "normal" (read "privileged") so I never realized how much this difference in family background can affect you.
My first encounter with Nietzsche was when I had to read his Genealogy of Morality freshman year. I loved it because it was all about ethics and described my miserable first year perfectly. We the weak ones invented something called morality to impose on the strong because we wanted to stop the real strong ones. We wanted to become the rulers instead.
But I later stopped caring about meddling with other people's personal ethics, or get frustrated with whatever they do with their own life. I think I know why. The day I stopped caring was the day I culminated my ascension as one of the strong ones. I was previously jealous. That was all.
Aye, that's such a distorted interpretation of Nietzsche.
No comments:
Post a Comment